Saturday, March 28, 2009

Looming on the horizon...


I think I have to back up a little while.... I have been looking for some time for an 8 harness loom. I was undecided about an 8 harness floor or a table loom, but everyone I talked to said... floor loom, that even with a custom table or the ability to tie up to treadles that the floor loom was THE way to go. Even so no loom appeared on my horizon and I was leaning towards a Jane Louet (yes, but an oh so lovely table loom). What I really really had been looking for was a well priced used 8 harness... My cup overfloweth and I found, adopted, and brought home a lovely 16 harness Macomber loom, (about 45 inch weaving width).

This is MORE loom than I ever thought would come into my life. It might be too much! A loom with 16 harnesses is intimidating! However, it is lovely and I do love it. It is amazing and came with lots and lots of extra heddles,(although good people are telling me to go with texsolve), 5 reeds, lease sticks, a bench, a lovely double boat shuttle. I am the third owner since it was made (a long time ago by the looks of it - it was made in Mass and Macomber is now in Maine). I'll be calling them this week, one nice person told me he called and they gave him the entire sales history. Everyone seems to love their Mac's. I have been extrodinarily lucky and came by a copy of Bonnie Inouye's book, Multishaft design (now out of print), which will help me immensely. I know that undulating twill is in my future...

I have to name her. She has never been named. I have to also get her at least temporarily situated so we can have some bonding time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, very cool! What a treasure.

Unknown said...

WOW! She's lovely! What an adventure and a find, indeed! --Eilidh